The purposes of the Bohemian Citizens’ Benevolent Society of Astoria, Inc. are to encourage, support, and maintain Schools, Dramatics, Lectures and Libraries for Czech and Slovak children and children of Czech and Slovak parentage. To maintain a social home for people of Czech and Slovak ancestry in which the Czech and Slovak cultures are taught and blended with American traditions and culture.
The Society consists of individuals of Czech and Slovak descent and their families who have pledged themselves to work for and promote the purposes for which the Society exists.
The Mission of the Bohemia Citizens Benevolent Society of Astoria
The mission of the Bohemian Citizens Benevolent Society of Astoria is to preserve Czech and Slovak cultural traditions by providing the following services for the Czech-American and Slovak-American community of the metropolitan area of New York City:
Goals of the BCBSA
- To operate a Czech and Slovak language school for children that teaches both language and cultural values.
- To maintain a social hall where recreational and social activities can be held in order to strengthen Czech-American and Slovak-America community ties.
- To provide opportunities for individuals within the Czech-American and Slovak-American community to excel in academics, music, sports, and other competitive areas through the granting of scholarships and other awards.
- To organize sports, recreation, and social activities for the Czech-American and Slovak-American community.
- To assist individuals of the Czech-American and Slovak-American community who may be in special need.
- To enhance the cultural diversity of our locality and to play a positive role in the multiethnic American community to which we belong.
- To operate a successful restaurant and beer hall with an authentic Czech and Slovak atmosphere in order to generate funds to finance the goals stated above. Other potential business opportunities and sources of funding should also be considered, provided that they are in keeping with our Czech and Slovak heritage.